Friday, May 17, 2013

What the kale??


I am really loving kale these days. I first tried making this salad I saw on the food network called massaged kale salad. It was really good. 

Recently I had a similar type of kale salad  with baked eggs on top at a restaurant in New York City. It was delicious and today I decided to recreate it from my own kitchen for a tasty lunch. I was very happy with how it turned out. 

I also placed some chopped kale on a baking sheet, tossed it after spraying with a little olive oil cooking spray and sea salt and baked for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees. I took Rosalie's advice and removed it sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese and returned to the oven for a few minutes. Delish!!

In case you aren't familiar with marcona almonds which I used in the kale and egg recipe, I highly recommend you try them. They are rounder, softer and a little sweet. They come from Spain. I store mine in the freezer to keep them fresher longer. Nuts have natural oils and they can go rancid if left in the cupboard too long. I put all my nuts in the freezer and just remove what I need when I need it. They don't turn mushy or get wet and will last forever. Well maybe not that long, but I have had some in there for quite some time.


Kale before its massage
A much more relaxed kale after it's massage!


Baked eggs over kale.

Extra virgin olive oil ½ - 1 Tbs*
Fresh lemon juice 1 tsp*
Sea salt
Balsamic Vinegar 1 tsp*
Kale, washed and cut into pieces 6 cups
Cheddar cheese grated 2-3 tbs
Parmesan or Pecorino cheese shredded  1 tsp
Marcona almonds chopped  2 -3 tbs
Eggs 2

*Amounts are approximate. Alter to your own taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Spray a small oval dish with cooking spray.
Break eggs carefully into dish.
Sprinkle with about a Tbs of milk or cream to prevent eggs from drying out. Do not stir.
Bake for 10-14 minutes depending on how done you like your eggs.

Place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
Vigorously massage the kale until it softens and decreases in volume.
Add the balsamic vinegar and toss.
Add the marcona almonds and shredded cheddar cheese and toss together.
Spread on large plate, top with baked eggs and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Thought for the day:    "There are two types of people; those who eat kale and those who should."  Bo Muller-Moore 

3 comments:

  1. Well great minds and all that stuff. I just had kale and eggs for my lunch too - but different. Have a great one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I hate to be a downer, but when you have thyroid issues, it's good to not eat too many cruciferous veggies. If you do eat them, cook them. That comes straight from Maria's book and I have some personal experience with this. My experience is more with a supplement called DIM (which is a supplement of a very concentrated amount of cruciferous veggies like broccoli). I took DIM for my horrible PMS and it worked.....Unfortunately, a lot of my hair fell out, too! It took several months for me to realize why I was losing my hair and I finally figured it out and stopped the supplement. The hair is finally growing back. I guess the supplement/cruciferous veggies don't interact well with thyroid meds. I'm sure the amount of kale you are eating won't affect you much because it sounds like you are cooking it and you're not overdoing it. I've been meaning to tell you about this because I know you take Thyroid meds, but I never got around to it....This was the perfect opportunity, although I feel like I'm being a downer :) Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about it because it sounds like you are eating small amounts, but just wanted to give you a heads up. It just really sucks when a lot of hair falls out and you can't figure out the problem :) I do LOVE the kale chips and my 10 yr old son LOVES them too!
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kale in my Zuppa soup at Olive Garden and that is the only time I have had it. After reading Carey's post and taking thyroid meds? Hmmmmm... I have blamed all of my hair loss on age, maybe I eat too much spinach! Just kidding:)I have had a lot of male pattern balding, I hate it, it can really eat into my self esteem, and then I talk myself down on how much worse it could be.
    I love your ideas and pictures. Very fun.
    I LOVE seeing Pattie posts!!!

    ReplyDelete