So right now I am dealing with a complete tear of my meniscus in my knee. This is getting me down, because I don't want to have an arthroscopy to get it cleaned out, but I'm not really walking well either. This has been going on since December and my activity level has plummeted. I haven't been able to walk my dogs, and I hobble around everywhere with a stiff, swollen joint. The MRI said I have alot of degeneration in my knee, total cartilage loss in some areas, and osteoarthritis. Here's something that I just found out and I'm a nurse!! Osteoarthritis has many causes, but obesity/being over normal weight is one of them.
I found this info from the John Hopkins web site:
Being only 10 pounds overweight increases the force on the knee by 30-60 pounds with each step.
Vegetable Quiche with Gluten Free Almond Flour Crust:1 onion
3 tbsp butter
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
3/4 cup whole milk ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
3/4 cup shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter ( I think this can be cut down a bit if you want)
5 tbsp whole milk ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°. Mix together the crust ingredients. The crust dough wont be pliable like a pie crust dough. This style of crust is more of a crumbly pressed crust. Take dough and press firmly into a pie dish. Stick a fork in the crust in various places so it doesn’t puff up.
2. Heat crust in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Then remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a skillet heat butter then add the chopped onions and garlic. Add rosemary and oregano. Cook until onions are almost but not completely clear then add spinach and cook until slightly wilted.
4. In a bowl whisk eggs, milk and shredded cheese. Add salt and pepper and sundried tomatoes and mix.
5. Add the onion and vegetables into the egg mixture then pour over pie crust and put it in the oven.
6. Let cook for 30-45 minutes at 375° until the egg mixture is set. You can sprinkle some extra cheese on top. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend, and be kind to yourself!! XO
Thought for the day: Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives. - Louise L. Hay