Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Add caption
I love Boston Creme Donuts. They bring me back to my childhood. It was always my favorite donut, and the one I chose when my grandparents took me to the donut store. Soft and doughy, filled with a silky vanilla custard and topped with a decadent chocolate glaze. They were my favorite.


Every year I would allow myself one Boston Creme Donut on Fat Tuesday. I did that for many years, well into adulthood. It was my Fat Tuesday tradition. Fat Tuesday is the traditional name for the day before Ash Wednesday. It is also known as Fastnacht day, and also Mardi Gras. It is supposed to be a time of feasting and celebrating before the somber time of fasting and penance of the Lenten season which leads up to Easter Sunday. Every year after Fat Tuesday, and my donut , I gave up all sweets during those 6 long weeks of Lent, 

Many Christians abstain or give up something during lent. It is a personal thing, and not something that is mandatory. Many Catholics do give up or deny themselves something as a form of self discipline and penance during this holy season leading up to Easter. As Catholics we also do not eat meat on Fridays during Lent or on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday. 






When I discovered the Belly Fat Cure, that was my first real connection to the sugar/insulin roller coaster I was on and why I always struggled to lose weight, fight the cravings and get in control. Sugar was everywhere and in my quest to eat low fat, I was actually increasing the amount of sugar in my diet. Now I know better, and I'm wiser, and I haven't had a donut on Fat Tuesday in a few years. 

As we grow and learn, we may have to tweak and change some of the traditions we grew up with for a healthier lifestyle.I can still have those wonderful childhood memories, but stop that donut tradition. 

Maybe I'll make a new one with this recipe I found on Maria's blog for mini filled donuts. Someone on that blog post suggested filling them with cream and topping them with the glaze from her Boston Creme cheesecake recipe. I just might have a new Fat Tuesday tradition, and one that is  a lot better for my health!

Happy Fat Tuesday! Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!


 The English translation is: let the good times roll



Thought for the day:  If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got!!


3 comments:

  1. Let them roll for sure. Love the thought too.
    I do like how far we have all come from our old lives. I also love all the other blogs that we find with healthy recipes that fit into our lifestyle.
    Have a great day without your donut :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I saw those donuts on her blog and thought they looked delicious! However, we all know now that some things can look delicious and then not taste too good. I love that we have our little group to try things out and give us an honest report. My favorite donuts were the ones just like the boston cream ones but were filled with that vanilla cream instead, yum! If you try Maria's donuts let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post! I have always loved maple bars and glazed old fashioned, my daughter brought home both while she was here and I had the old fashioned, but not the maple....SUPER slippery slope! I just realized that I got sick with the flu after my sugar binges, the sugar probably lowered my immune system:( I have rarely even had a cold in the last 2 years? Interesting!
    I tend to think the donuts in the old days had less crappy additives than the new donuts! Just my humble opinion:)

    ReplyDelete