Saturday, August 30, 2014

Happy Labor Day!

An appropriate birthday gift from my Mom!



Happy Labor Day Everyone!
 
 
The summer has flown by, but there are still many warm and wonderful days left to enjoy. I love August. Maybe because I was born in August, married in August, and while it is still a summer month, we begin to feel that hint of Autumn which is just around he corner. Shorter days, cooler nights, fireflies (or lightening bugs depending on where you live!!) and the warm summer weather, make it  the perfect month in my opinion. Yet we know another great season, Autumn, is just around the corner.
 
 
I hope your summer was wonderful, and if you are using the start of fall as a time to get healthy for whatever reason, I hope you find a plan you can live with for the rest of your life. It has to be a lifestyle change, plain and simple. You have to be able to do it forever. You may slip and fall, you may lose your way, but you have to have something that you believe in to fall back on. If you don't you will never change permanently, only temporary. If you fail to plan, then you should plan to fail.
 
As many of you know I started my journey to health with the original Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise. This taught me to count my sugar, limit carbs, avoid processed foods, artificial sweeteners and junk foods. It's a great place to start and I have many fellow bloggers that lost weight and have kept it off following this plan. My friend Rosalie has a great blog that gives you all the information you need to know as well as great motivation and recipes. Check it out. http://purplerosy.blogspot.com

If you don't know where to start, and you want to get healthy and also lose weight, the Belly Fat Cure is a great book. You will see and be shocked at the amount of sugar, natural and processed, you are eating in the foods that you thought were healthy for you. You will understand how many carbs you should have in a day and why too much insulin is such a bad thing for our bodies. Even as a nurse, I was shocked at what learned
 
I have taken it a step further and now I follow a wheat free and grain free way of eating. I bought and read the Wheat Belly and Grain Brain books and my husband and I have made a life change. Now this didn't happen over night. I bought Wheat Belly a year or so ago. I was following a wheat free way of eating about 80% of the time. But as the author Dr. Davis states, 'if you follow it 80% of the time, you will only get 20% of the results.'
 
So January 1, 2014, my husband and I decided to give Wheat up for good. We have never felt better. In fact just yesterday, he said 'you've saved my life but getting me to follow this way of eating.' Dramatic statement? Yes. But he has had dramatic results. His  chronic acid reflux is gone, his chronic joint pain is gone, his chronic foot tendonitis is gone.  We both have experienced positive health results. My thyroid medication has decreased, my knee pain is greatly diminished, my perimenapausal hot flashes and  mood swings are decreased, and my skin looks so much better. I can really see the difference and others have commented on it as well. And there are many other positive changes, some subtle, but changes for the better any way you look at it.
 
Many people may be skeptical, but I say, what have you got to lose? Try it for a few weeks. See for yourself. It's really not that hard at all once you get the hang of it. I read many, many posts and testimonies on facebook groups and blogs, and the dramatic positive health changes people are reporting cannot be casually dismissed. If you suffer from any debilitating health problem, (migraines, joint pain, asthma, GERD, cardiac or respiratory issues) I really think you should open your mind to the possibility that you could be helped by following a wheat free way of eating. What if this one simple change could have a huge impact on your health? People are quick to take a pill to correct something, but changing ones diet seems impossible for many. It's really not that hard.
 
Next time I post, I'll give you some tips to get started. You can also go to Dr. Davis blog, http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/. It's easy to get started even if you don't want to buy the book.
 
Enjoy the last days of summer!
 
Thought for the day: If you do what you've always done...you'll get what you've always gotten!




7 comments:

  1. That is a pretty incredible statement by your hubby! I am happy for you both. My health issue is missing vital muscle mass to actually burn calories and boost my metabolism. Not working has not been my friend in that regard and I don't use all of my free time wisely :( We are headed to the Oregon Coast next week, I will be able to see the beach every day for about 8 days! I can't wait. The problem is that when we come home, Autumn/Fall will be here and our Summer will be done. I'm not sure I am ready.
    Share, share, share your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pattie! I, too, saw great results when I eliminated wheat. I had been taking 3 allergy meds a day for around 15 years and had done 4 years of allergy shots to no avail. Just by going gluten free, I have no allergies and take no meds anymore (unless I accidentally eat something with gluten). I've also been carded several times when I went to buy wine :) so I think it's helped my skin.....BTW, I'm 43! I've also lost that cloudy, fuzzy thing going on in my brain and I'm sleeping sooooo much better. Anyhow, I'm glad everything is going well with you and your hubby!
    Enjoy the last of summer,
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a nice weekend. I am proud of you how great you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Pattie!! I have been so bad about keeping up with the blogs (including my own) but popped in today and was so happy to see a post by you! I have both books but have been really bad about reading them so maybe your tips will inspire me to do that. So happy to hear that you and your hubby are feeling better... that's what it's all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pattie! My name is Cam and I had a quick question for you and was wondering if you could please email me when you have a free moment? I can be reached at cvonstjames AT gmail DOT com :-) Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed reading your blog. Please post soon. I look forward to seeing your Christmas decorations and hearing how your diet is going.

    ReplyDelete