Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What's for breakfast.... Blueberry Almond Flaxseed Pancakes

Many times I get asked what you can eat for breakfast if you are eating wheat and grain free. Just because you don't use white flour doesn't mean you have to give up pancakes. In fact, there are so many great pancake recipes floating around out there which are made with almond flour and various other ingredients. It just might be hard to come up with your favorite one.

I have been making these as my go to pancake. I make up a huge batch, and freeze in packages. I keep a package in the fridge for the week. It's easy to grab one and heat in the microwave. See my tips at the bottom, as well as some great variations. Don't be afraid to experiment and change things up a bit. I don't think you can mess these up!

Blueberry Almond Flaxseed Pancakes

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and combine with dry. Mix until blended.

Drop approx 1/2 cup until well oiled griddle. Dip your hand in water to flatten out. Flip after a few minutes.

My Tips:
  • I buy golden flaxseed meal. It's finer and tastes better. 
  • Honeyville almond flour is the best for baking. It's fine texture makes baked goods better. You can find it here. I have also found it at Costco at a low price. It really makes a difference in texture.
  • Trader Joes sells bags of organic frozen blueberries. It's also easy to freeze your own in ziploc bags during the summer, and then you'll have them all winter long.
  • For more even distribution of blueberries, add them to the pancakes on the griddle
  • These pancakes have a heavier texture. Don't make them too big or they will be hard to flip. After flipping, press down on them to help cook evenly.
  • You can add some walnuts, a few tbs of pure pumpkin puree or some sour cream for variations.
  • I don't use Splenda, Nutrasweet or Sweet n Low. They are harmful and full of chemicals. I use products that have sugar alcohols in them. Natures Hollow has great sugar free syrups. I buy from Netrition.Lots of great products and one low  flat rate shipping price.
    These are the products I use.

    Dipping hand in water before pressing down, keeps the pancake from sticking when pressing down.
    Adding the blueberries after you drop the pancakes onto the griddle, allows for even distribution.

    Delicious topped with butter and Sugar free syrup.





    Thought for the day: 

Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it's done right. Even a pancake. Julia Child

4 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds yummy! Just want to point out for your readers that Splenda and the other low- and no-calorie sweeteners you mentioned as harmful and full of chemicals have been studied extensively and have been found safe for use in moderation. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

    Jessica Fishman Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Nutrition Consultant, including Calorie Control Council

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great - you know I love me some healthy pancakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't given up my pancakes yet, especially since I just got some huckleberries to make them amazing. I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fabulous! I may need to get some blueberries and share with the family this weekend. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete